A fisherman named James White got a bite recently, but it wasn’t the kind of bite he was hoping for.
According to 7 News, White was fishing off of Bodega Bay in Sonoma County, California when he caught something unexpected–a shark.
After hooking and laboriously reeling in the six-foot sevengill shark however, things quickly got hairy when the creature twisted on the line and locked its teeth on White’s ankle.
White told 7 News the wound was serious and very bloody.
“Immediately there was blood everywhere, the first bite punctured an artery,” he said. “The pressure was intense.”
Luckily for White, he wasn’t alone. He had brought his dog—Darby.
Despite being in the car, when the one-year-old pitbull heard the commotion, it immediately jumped through the car window and raced to White’s side, attacking the shark that had hold of its owner’s leg.
White says that after first going for the shark’s gills Darby dragged it off him by the tail, allowing him to free himself and throw the shark back into the water.
“He literally ran up the hill with it and pulled it off my leg,” says White.
According to White if Darby hadn’t rushed to his side his wound could have been even more serious, telling NBC:
“He’s been a part of the family from day one. Just now a little more. If it wasn’t for him I would have been a lot worse.”
More uplifting stories and awesome animals:
- An Overweight Dog Set To Be Put Down Lost Over 100 Pounds After Being Rescued
- Therapy Dogs Are Helping Victims And First Responders Of The El Paso Shooting
- After Being Badly Injured In A Fire, This Dog Is Training To Help Burn Victims
- Kid Makes Rescue Dogs Bow Ties To Help Them Get Adopted
- Stephen Colbert Stuns Anderson Cooper With His Emotional Answer On What Suffering Taught Him