Ryan Harelson and his 12-year-old son James were planning a relaxing weekend at their vacation home in Payson, Arizona, but things turned terrifying when a fire broke out and James had to rescue his father.
The father and son were sitting by their fire pit when they say an ember fell out and started a fire. They used a fire extinguisher and water to put the flames out. Thinking everything was safe, they got ready for bed. Ryan took a sleeping pill and James watched some videos on his phone.
That’s when James heard an explosion.
“It was just like a boom,” James said. “It, like, shook everything and then my TV fell down.”
James looked out the window and saw the flames were spreading.
“I see an orange glare in the woods. I ran downstairs, opened the door and saw the tree as on fire. My heart just dropped. I was so scared,” James said.
James tried to wake up his dad by screaming, but Ryan was medicated from his sleeping pill and didn’t budge. Finally, James poured cold water on his father, waking him up.
They were able to grab one of their dogs, but the other didn’t make it.
Ryan thinks the fire they put out earlier rekindled, causing a nearby propane tank to explode.
The family has started a GoFundMe to rebuild their home.